Re: install debian on dell poweredge 1950

I upgrade kernel 2.6.25 from testing repository. After that the computer couldn't see network device. I found that bnx2 couldn't load firmware at booting time. So I manual load bnx2 module
                       modprobe -r bnx2
                       modprobe bnx2
The network device work again. However, the connection delay time still a problem.

If I change OS to Redhat or Ubuntu, Can solve this problem?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 02:05:02PM -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:49:30 +0700
> "Surachai Locharoen" <kan2005@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello I am running the following set up:
> >
> > A dell poweredge 1950: running Debian Etch
> >
> >    - 1x Dual Core 64-bit Intel(r) Xeon(r) 5050, 2x2MB Cache, 3.00GHz,
> > 667MHz FSB
> >    - 2GB 533MHz (4x512MB), Single Ranked DIMMs
> >    - 2x 146GB,SAS, 3.5-inch, 10K RPM Hard Drive
> >    - Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 1, PERC 5/i
> >    - Redundant Power Supply with Y-Cord
> >

> > Everything is fine on my server except for that fact that everytime I
> > try to connect the connection times out at first. It can take as much
> > as 1 minute for the connection to work.
> >
> > Then after a while my putty sessions, ssh session, apache sessions
> > time out.
> >
> > I've used tcpdump to look for network card errors and there seems to
> > be none. I've look through the logs no refused connections for apache.
> >
> > I have the Broadcom NetExtreme Dual Gigabyte Ethernet and I'm
> > starting to think maybe there is some weird problem with the bnx2
> > driver in the kernel I'm running.
> >
> > Linux cando 2.6.15-26-amd64-generic #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:35
> > UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > Another possibility I thought of is that some kind of power managment
> > or wake on Lan function is causing problems.
> >
> > However I booted up with ACPI=off so I thought that would disable
> > power managment.
> >
> > Where do I begin with this , it seems to be quite elusive and I can't
> > get a straight answer anywhere.

use ethtool to have a look at the device. As suggested use a new kernel,
watch out for 23 (I think) + 24  the boradcom drivers were removed as
they changed and there was an issue with the firemware.

Have a look on the switch at the switch port, see if there any errors
there.

When you are getting these errors do a tcpdump on the client and the
server, eliminated any routers in the middle.