install debian on dell poweredge 1950

Hello I am running the following set up:

A dell poweredge 1950: running Debian Etch

   - 1x Dual Core 64-bit Intel(r) Xeon(r) 5050, 2x2MB Cache, 3.00GHz, 667MHz
   FSB
   - 2GB 533MHz (4x512MB), Single Ranked DIMMs
   - 2x 146GB,SAS, 3.5-inch, 10K RPM Hard Drive
   - Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 1, PERC 5/i
   - Redundant Power Supply with Y-Cord

Everything is fine on my server except for that fact that everytime I try to
connect the connection times out at first. It can take as much as 1 minute
for the connection to work.

Then after a while my putty sessions, ssh session, apache sessions time out.

I've used tcpdump to look for network card errors and there seems to be
none. I've look through the logs no refused connections for apache.

I have the Broadcom NetExtreme Dual Gigabyte Ethernet and I'm starting to
think maybe there is some weird problem with the bnx2 driver in the kernel
I'm running.

Linux cando 2.6.15-26-amd64-generic #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:35 UTC
2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Another possibility I thought of is that some kind of power managment or
wake on Lan function is causing problems.

However I booted up with ACPI=off so I thought that would disable power
managment.

Where do I begin with this , it seems to be quite elusive and I can't get a
straight answer anywhere.

My ip is static but I know it's on a DHCP network so I was also wondering if
I'm having DHCP conflicts. I have to check with the network admin tomorrow
about that.

SSH, Apache, Putty session reset or timeout, then 20s-1min later all seems
fine.

The interval is about every 10-30minutes.
Static IP behind nat 10.0.0.0 network

Thanks in Advance for your help. Any clue would help.
If I can't figure this out soon my impulse is to replace the Broadcom Dual
Ethernet with an Intel Pro Dual or single Gigabyte Ethernet card.
I'd really like to avoid this if possible so see if you can give me a lead.

Thanks,

--
Surachai Locharoen

--