Re: auto update headers

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:30:31AM -0500, Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> why is it that after a round of updates via aptitude i have to go in and
> install things like linux-headers afterwards?  how can i tell it to
> automatically update them along with the kernel?  i was under the
> impression that if i had them installed then aptitude would update them
> as it does any other package.

  Presumably because the headers for each kernel are in a separate
package (so they can be independently installed).  So upgrading the
header package for, say, kernel 2.6.18-4 won't install the headers for
2.6.25-2.

  The best way around this that I know is to install the kernel headers
metapackage for your architecture; e.g., linux-headers-2.6-686 if you
have an i686 kernel.

  Daniel