Re: SATA drive problems in LENNY...

Thanks, Ron! The solution was noapic as a kernel parameter though. Mark
Allums' shot in the dark held the key. Then I tried to transfer my system
from the old 8.6G ide disk to the new 500G sata disk, following
instructions you seem to have gotten on another occasion: dd and
resize2fs. dd worked, resize2fs failed miserably... So right now I am
re-installing the system happily on the 500G sata disk.

Hint for the debian installation disk managers: Took me some time to
figure out how to add a boot parameter to the installation kernel on the
netinstall CD. Should be easy to include a menu item that gives the
standard for the minimum information that has to be entered at the boot
prompt:
boot: /install.amd/vmlinuz initrd=/install.amd/initrd.gz
and leaves a blinking cursor right there to add your own boot option (e.g.
noapic...) or press return for normal installation boot (as you would get
with the first menu item, install). Just a thought. Would have made my
life much easier and saved me one doomed boot to see what install is
booting... Not evident that a newbie would have figured this out as a way
to get at the information.

Thanks again, all you guys! Hope this makes it into the thread for future
reference...

Best, a happy Kai

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

   Kai Martens				University of Utah
   Research Associate Professor		Department of Physics

   Tel:    (801) 585-5503		115 South 1400 East
   Fax:    (801) 581-6256		James Fletcher Bldg. Room 201
   E-mail: kai@physics.utah.edu		Salt Lake City
   Office: INSCC 216			Utah 84112-0830, USA