Re: My first message... more of a mad mans rant...

On Mon,14.Jul.08, 14:42:30, Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) wrote:

[...]

> First of all I want to bring up the idea of a FSF Debian GNU/Linux,
> everyone I have spoken to on IRC so far are in support of this idea so I
> thought I'd outline it here so that theres a record of it.
>
>   I'm tired of seeing projects like gNewSense and Gobuntu.  Debian is
> miles more in tune with FSF expectations on 'the free operating system'
> idea than Ubuntu is, for example Firefox is a problem which Ubuntu don't
> mind but we do.  It would take far less effort for us to create a FSF
> compliant operating system than it is out of a 'Ubuntu Base' <- (that
> makes my stomach churn).

I like the balance chosen by Debian (freedom vs. usability).

>   All we have to do is form an official sister project that makes a
> slightly tweaked version of stable (Etch) with a different Kernel that
> doesn't contain the binary firmware.  Possibly if you wanted to get even
> more favour with the FSF you could swap IceWeasel for IceCat (since they
> are practically identical and serve the same purpose, but IceCat is GNU
> IceCat).

You can do it yourself ;)

[about Ubuntu and Dreamlinux

> I would like it to be mentioned on www.debian.org/misc/children-distros
> as I think it is an admirable project and is now in the top 10 of
> distrowatch.  Also I think Sidux works in a similar way by using our
> real repositories (I like calling these Sporks not Forks :P but I'm just
> odd) and that isn't on the list either.  Dreamlinux devs and admins make

You should contact debian-www about that. I think I recall a discussion
about the children-distros page being outdated, but I guess manpower is
missing again. I you would be willing to supply patches against the CVS
source I'm sure they will be at least looked over. Or maybe that page
should be moved to the wiki? Again, this is a topic for debian-www

[making alpha releases from testing]

I like testing and unstable being rolling distros (without a set
version). IMO this is a feature not a bug. People who want/need
stability can use stable. Why do you think Ubuntu introduced the LTS
version?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)