Re: Re: apt-get dist-upgrade removes random packages.

Hugo wrote:
Achim Bode wrote:
    Hi,

    I dist-upgrade from etch to unstable. I change my sources.list,
    performed a apt-get upgrade and be informed that some package will
    be removed. gallery2 concerns me in particular since it not
    obsolete in testing. Is something wrong with my database or do I
misunderstand something?
<snip>

See my earlier query and the answer from Daniel Burrows: try running

aptitude -s dist-upgrade

and that will tell you much more about the reasons that removal is suggested.
But how to avoid it is another question ;-)

Hugo

thanks for this suggestion. I figured out that installing php5-mysql in etch solved the problem. gallery2 depends on php5-mysql or php4-mysql or some postgres drivers in etch, but php4-mysql is not available in testing. I can see that is difficult for dist-upgrade to make a decision for the mysql driver in gallery2 probably without knowing that php4 is deprecated in favor of php5. So fare I did not do the dist-upgrade, but I do not see that php4-mysql will be removed from my system.

Do you think I should file a bug, and if where?

Thanks,

Achim