Re: i386 or amd64?

On Monday 14 July 2008 03:33:57 am Peet Grobler wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am about to buy the mobo that Doug Tutty has: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe,
> > albeit with a more moderate AM2 processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e 2.1GHz
> > 45W 65nm Dual-Core.
> >
> > Question I have is what do I run on it, I would prefer restoring a
> > current i386 system on it and then go on from there.
>
> I'm not exactly sure why you'd want to run an i386 system on 64-bit
> architecture. 64-bit is so much faster. Why not make the most of the
> processor?
>
> > So I found this:
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/07/msg00311.html
> >
> > which lists 6 options:
> >
> > 1) Install i386 version and use that using 32bit kernel.
> > 2) Install amd64 version and use that.
> > 3) Install i386 with amd64 kernel package (i386 sarge includes that) and
> > amd64-libs to allow running some 64bit programs and most 32bit
> > (iptables/alsa-utils and other things that talk to some kernel
> > interfaces have to be 64bit when used with a 64bit kernel I believe).
> > 4) Install amd64 version and ia32-libs to allow running some 32bit
> > programs and all 64bit.
> > 5) Install i386 with an amd64 kernel package and a 64bit chroot to play
> > with full 64bit stuff in. (I use this one at the moment).
> > 6) Install amd64 with a i386 chroot to run 32bit packages in.
>
> I have a combination of 4 and 6. 4 works mostly, but some things (in my
> case skype) just won't work. So I had to resort to installing a chroot
> to run that. If you do that - use schroot! Using that I can just run
> /usr/bin/skype (script that executes schroot). Works like a charm.
>
> --
> Peet Grobler
> peet@hivemind.net

you *can* install skype i386 with the dpkg  -i --force-architecture option.
You will get up to three dependency issues.  Find those .debs from
debian.org, download them, dpkg -i --force-architecture them, one at a time,
re-install skype.  Repeat until the deps are all met and the packages
installs.

Pretty?  No. Works?  Yes.  Make sure you read dpkg --force-help and understand
the ramifications before doing this.  Do NOT take my word for this.  If your
box breaks, it means nothing to me.  In my experience, you have three, maybe
four i386 packages installed on your amd64 OS.  For me, this has not caused
any issues.

Of course, as someone said, you can install the static files (this is new to
me) and my skype file is version 1.4.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com