Re: apt-get install without starting?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 21:28:39 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 09:21:46PM -0700, David Barrett was heard to say:

[...]

> > Essentially, I'm writing a script to generate ready-to-deploy bootable
> > qemu images,  One of the inputs of the script is a list of packages to
> > install.  This works fantastic, with the key exception that some of
> > those packages (ssh and lighttpd, specifically) start up running
> > processes.  These processes need to be stopped before I can dismount the
> > raw image and zip it up for instant future deployment.
>
>   I've never used it myself, but I believe that invoke-rc.d was supposed
> to solve this sort of problem.  (I don't know much more than that, but
> it looks like the manpage might have pointers)

Also, see /usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.policy-rc.d.gz.

Executive summary: If you want to prohibit all invoke-rc.d-mediated
start actions, create /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d as an executable shell
script that exits with a status of 101. If you find a package whose
initscripts do not honor this, file a bug.

(I learned this on this list, but I cannot find the relevant message now
 and therefore I cannot give credit to whoever posted it originally.
 Sorry...)

          Florian   |