Re: ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:39:49 +0300
Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 12 July 2008 10:25, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:45:32 +0300
> >
> > Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so
> > > I'm trying here.
> > >
> > > I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it
> > > up so that desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs
> > > filesystems R/W via the normal desktop mouting tools.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have an overview on this?
> > >
> > > Love.

> > Only a few things need to be changed in /etc/fstab to achieve your
> > goal. Change the filesystem type from `ntfs' to `ntfs-3g' and
> > include `rw' and `users' in the options.
>
> This has nothing to do with /etc/fstab becuase i'm talking about
> removable devices. Talking about being able to purchase a USB MSC HDD
> and plugging it in.

Yes, I understood it, but my statement still stands. If you use an
individual device and want it to be hotpluggable, you may consider
creating an udev rule with the VID:PID or UUID. Also don't forget to
add the `noauto' option to the correspondning line in /etc/fstab, just
to be sure.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc