Re: How to add printer in cups 1.3

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 05:15:13 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:34:10 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
> > I've just upgrade all my cupsys-* to cups-*. They are all the latest
> > versions in lenny. However, I can't find the "Add Printer" button any more
> > on its web page (http://localhost:631/admin). Here is the screen shot:
> > http://s4. tinypic .com/n68fmo.jpg (without space)
> >
> > That's different from what I used to see and the online doc too.
>
> I've now upgraded all my cups-* packages to unstable [1], but what I get is
> still exactly the same as aforementioned.
>
> - Is your cups web interface the same as my screen shot?

I have more buttons: "Add Printer", "Find New Printers", and "Add
Class". Also, under "Server" on the right hand side I have buttons to
edit the configuration file and to view various log files. I run an
up-to-date Sid/amd64 system.

> - Are you able to add printers?

Yes, I am.

> thanks

[...]

Let's compare the versions of all cups and cupsys packages (your output
did not include the lib* packages):

$ dpkg -l "*cups*" | awk '/^ii/{print $2,$3}'
cups 1.3.7-8
cups-bsd 1.3.7-8
cups-client 1.3.7-8
cups-common 1.3.7-8
cups-driver-gutenprint 5.0.2-3
cups-pdf 2.4.8-2
cupsddk 1.2.3-3
cupsddk-drivers 1.2.3-3
cupsys 1.3.7-8
libcups2 1.3.7-8
libcupsimage2 1.3.7-8
libcupsys2 1.3.7-8
libgnomecups1.0-1 0.2.3-2

Did you try to change the LogLevel to "debug" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
and restart cups? This should give you more information in the log files
(/var/log/cups/*) when you try to connect to the web interface again.

What are your access restriction settings in cupsd.conf? Here are mine
(I did not change the defaults):

$ awk '/<Loc/,/<\/Loc/' /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

Are you still a member of the lpadmin group (or whichever group is
specified as the SystemGroup in cupsd.conf)?

Is your printer detected when you run "/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb"?

          Florian   |