OT: Energy efficiency difference btw GNU/Linux, Mac & MS

Hello all

As part of my studies I must draw up a spec for providing a hypothetical building with power sourced solely from renewables (solar, PV, wind). This building is an educational establishment for about 20 people using computers. The budget is (naturally) tight.

Logically, before one powers a building, one needs to ensure that the existing loads are the most efficient that they can be so that the supply is not being wasted by hungry loads.

What I want to find out is whether anyone here knows of any studies/reports that identifies whether or not there is a difference in the energy efficiency among GNU/Linux systems, Mac and Microsoft.

I can easily make the argument that licensing and maintenance costs would be cheaper using GNU/Linux, as well as recommending either a system of laptops and/or a system of thin clients.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks

Andy