Bug in libc6 affecting multi-port serial controllers?

I have few serial controllers, seen on pci bus like this:

00:06.0 Serial controller: Titan Electronics Inc VScom 800L 8 port
serial adaptor

They do not work on lenny but they do work on etch.

After experimenting a little (first I thought it was udev) I discovered
that they stopped working on etch when I upgraded libc6 to the version
in lenny (2.7-10, and that upgraded also: binutils libc6-dev libc6-i686
locales).
Then I downgraded those packages back to etch (2.3.6.ds1-13etch5) and
cards started working again.

Symptoms of not working are, on some ports, cu disconnecting when I try
to connect, and/or saying "Input/output error", and then setserial
saying "Cannot get serial info: Input/output error".
Only some of the ports are affected, and I have tried swapping cards,
using different pci slots, to no use.

The system is fairly typical i386 installation with Athlon processor.
Kernel is self-compiled (as default limits the number of serial
devices).

So how the version of libc6 affects serial devices?
Any hints on how to make them work in lenny?

Cc me directly, please.

- Tapio Rantala