Re: Re: CUPS vs lpd (was Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> Mumia M. wrote:
>> I also created a startup script for firefox that sets
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the 'lib' directory where gtk+2.10's
>> binaries are installed, e.g.:

>> #!/bin/sh
>> #---------firefox-3.0.sh-------------
>> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/exotic/lib
>> exec /usr/local/firefox-3.0/firefox

> Doesn't seem to help here. I don't have any "lib" directory in
> gtk-2.10; just engines, immodules, printbackends, and loaders.

> Perhaps I should have used an earlier version of gtk-2.10?

The standard self-compiled install puts *lots* of stuff in
/usr/local, e.g. in

  /usr/local/bin
  /usr/local/lib
  /usr/local/share
  /usr/local/etc

/usr/local/lib contains a subdirectory gtk-2.0 which has engines,
immodules, printbackends, and loaders in it. But also
/usr/local/lib ("above" gtk-2.10, not inside it) will contain new
gtk things.

BTW Mumia, it seems you use a (probably non-Debian) firefox
(because you use Etch), which is also in /usr/local. I use Sid,
and I can now print with the standard Debian Iceweasel.

The difficult thing now is to pinpoint where the bug is, exactly.
Ihe official Debian source files of libgtk2.0-0 are much bigger
than the gtk+-2.10 ones on gtk.org (23 MB vs 14 MB). To compile
the Debian version (which does not allow lpr printing through ff3)
you need to install *lots* of extra packages:
          gnome-common
          intltool
          libcairo-directfb2
          libcups2-dev
          chrpath
          gtk-doc-tools
          libcairo-directfb2-dev
          libcupsys2-dev
          svn-buildpackage
          unp
          gnome-pkg-tools
          libsvn-perl
          svn-buildpackage
It seems the package was heavily customised. Maybe some bias
favouring CUPS was introduced. But ff2 worked fine, so I am still
not certain where the blame really lies.

Regards, Jan