Re: More than one xserver?

On Sunday 06 July 2008 02:49:07 am Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 04:38:05PM -0500, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What's the right way to run more than one X server?
>
> You will probably get a few different answers to this question as there
> is no one true Right Way to do it. Here is a very simple one:
>
> 1. login at the console with the user for the first X
> 2. run 'startx'
> 3. switch to some other console and login as the user for the second
>    X (can also be the same user)
> 4. run 'startx -- DISPLAY=:1'
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

(I hope this minor thread hijacking isn't resented too much)

I tried that, and every variation returns an error telling me that X is
already running, and I should try removing some lock file if I feel that this
message was received in error. I don't have any reason to need two X servers,
so am really just curious for my own edification. Is there some configuration
I need to tweak to allow more than one display?

--
Lee Glidewell           | PGP key: D5D686A7
lee.glidewell@gmail.com |