Re: [Sidux] AMD Sempron 64 bit kernel (Gateway laptop)?

Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com>:
>  On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 23:13:08 +0200, s. keeling (keeling@nucleus.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi.  I'm somewhat confused and in uncharted territory.  I just bought
> > this laptop second hand.
> >
> > Which kernel is this CPU supposed to be using?  I've been testing with
> > Sidux for the moment (2008-06 (?) 2.6.25-10).  It refused to boot on
> > their AMD images ("... detected i1586[sic] CPU.").
> >
> > This thing ought to be running an amd64 kernel, shouldn't it?
> >
> > "Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+" in /proc/cpuinfo, 800 Mhz.
> > Gateway laptop.
>
>  The Sempron replaced the Duron and was very much entry level.  It isn't
>  64 bit.
>
>  See
>  http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_861_11546~88041,00.html
>  for more info.

Perfect, thanks.  It's AMD, but it's not 64 bit.  Close enough for me.

  "How do the Mobile AMD Sempron processors compare with Mobile AMD
  Athlon\u2122 64 processors?"

    "Mobile AMD Sempron processors are tailored to the growing segment
    of value-conscious PC users seeking a full-featured product with
    best-in-class performance for the changing face of everyday
    computing. Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processors are designed to meet
    high-performance computing needs by providing outstanding 32-bit
    performance today, plus capability for tomorrow\u2019s 64-bit
    applications."

What incredible marketroidspeak.