Re: Any idea why chroot temporarily "cannot find name for group ID 0"?

Ok, so I have definitely confirmed that:

1) Both the db and www chroot periodically break
2) When broken, the www chroot can't send email from PHP
3) Each can be fixed by chrooting in with "ls /etc/group /etc/passwd"
4) Fixing one doesn't fix the other
5) Once the www chroot is fixed, PHP can send email just fine
6) I needn't restart lighttpd/php to fix it

The filesystem is ext3.

One theory was nscd, but I don't think I have that running. At the very least, I don't see a nscd process:

[root@XXXX svn]# ps aux | grep nscd
root     12260  0.0  0.1   3916   684 pts/0    S+   00:01   0:00 grep nscd
[root@XXXX svn]#

I'm thinking the real solution is to ditch this old FC4 host system (which was installed by the dedicated server provider, and thus I don't know what weird changes they made) and switch to Debian.

-david

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 05:38:50PM -0700, David Barrett <dbarrett@quinthar.com> was heard to say:
Wow, great observation: doing a "ls" of /etc/group and /etc/passwd fixes it. How incredibly strange:

  I'd go for "jawdroppingly bizarre" myself.

  The only other thing I can think of is that maybe there's something
odd at the filesystem level.  Is it anything but a straight ext3
filesystem?  (e.g., are you using NFS, unionfs, fuse filesystems, etc)

  Daniel