Re: SOLVED (mostly): How to Boot a Dell Optiplex 320?

Chris Burkhardt wrote:
H.S. wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
>>>

>> I've just discovered that upgrading from the 2.6.18-6-686 kernel to
>> the 2.6.24-1-686 re-introduces a hang-up on booting. D'oh! (choosing
>> the old 2.6.18 kernel from lilo gets me going again, though - whew!
>> Stupid Optiplex 320!)
>>

> This might not matter, but can you verify that with new kernel, the root
> variable is being set as expected in /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

Except he's using LILO and not Grub. But Kent might want to make sure
everything in /etc/lilo.conf looks right. Congratulations on getting it going at all :)

Yep, did that. The stanzas are the same as far as the options, etc. There's just something in the .24 kernel that's not in the .18 that causes it to hang.

Man, this model of Dell has left me disliking Dell.

--
Kent West