Re: SOLVED (mostly): How to Boot a Dell Optiplex 320?

Kent West wrote:

I've just discovered that upgrading from the 2.6.18-6-686 kernel to the 2.6.24-1-686 re-introduces a hang-up on booting. D'oh! (choosing the old 2.6.18 kernel from lilo gets me going again, though - whew! Stupid Optiplex 320!)

This might not matter, but can you verify that with new kernel, the root variable is being set as expected in /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

I have had some problems in the past when a kernel upgrade used to change the root partition. Solution was to fix it in the kopt argument in menu.lst. Worth a shot, since I find it a bit strange that it won't work with a new kernel when it worked with 2.6.18.

->HS