Link failover with ping

Hello all!

I`m finding docs/examples about this subject. After some googling,
I only found basic scripts. For me (in some networks that I work),
these simple scripts available only works with excellent links
(dedicated ones).

The load balancing part of the problem already was solved with
LARTC howto. DGD patch for linux was not a good experience
because it only detects the first hop fail and 90% of these fails
happens after the first hop (e.g. local router as gateway
connected to remote ISP).

I searched for some linux distro with this feature (good failover)
bult-in, but didnt found something interesting.

I would appreciate pointers to docs, distros (for use as starting
point), examples or even academic research about  the topic.

thank you,

Tom Lobato