ethernet configuration

I've installed etch recently and I'm having a real hard time configuring my ethernet connection.

Firstly, each time the computer is rebooted it seems to create a new interface (for example, my only ethernet connection at this moment is eth7).
Also, the Gnome's Network Settings program (Desktop\Administration\Networking, in the top panel) is not solving the problem. If I try to place the correct IP adresses and after that use 'ifconfig -a' it tells me that the connection is still configured incorrectly (even though, when I go back to Network Settings, they are correct). The only way to correctly configure it is using 'ifconfig' and 'route' (and this must be done every single time the computer is turned on or rebooted). Despite it all, the Network Settings works fine for the DNS server

I think there must be something wrong in a configuration file, but I don't have the slightest idea.

André Timpanaro