Re: CAD software for PCB engineering and routing

On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2008-06-23 22:31:12, schrieb David Goodenough:
> > Have you looked a gEDA?  Its available on Debian.
>
> Yes, but it is NOT intuitive as programs I  have  used  in
> Enterprises. It is nearly imposible to make bigger projects
> with  SIMPEL  CPUs  like ARM or MIPS.

Have you looked at kicad?  Supposedly, it is less powerful than
PCB (geda) but more intuitive.

My experience is that kicad is less intuitive, because it has a
MS-windoze look and feel, with the extra baggage.  I'm curious
what you think about it.

Again .. some friendly communication with the developers should
help a lot.  Making software intuitive is hard.  It's mostly in
how it behaves when you do something wrong.

With gnucap, almost all of the bug reports ever received involve
some kind of user error.  The bugs are real bugs, and the
reports are very much appreciated.  That kind of bugs is very
hard to find without users who are willing to try it, report
the experience, and work with the developers to improve things.

> What I need is a PCB-Autorouter which do the routing for
> me!!!

Someone is working on it.  From what I see, he is making good
progress.

> I want to tell the program the pinlayout of  the  used
> Microchips,  the position of the parts and let the Computer
> work  for  me.  This  is  HOW intuitive software should work,
> specialy for such simple tasks

Autoroute is not a simple task.

For a long time, all of the commercial PCB programs used the
same outsourced autorouter.  This lasted until the maker was
acquired by Cadence, and became unfriendly to Cadence's
competitors.