Re: cannot log on to msn using pidgin on lenny amd64

but another strange thing is my gaim on etch works fine with msn everyday, while the pidgin in lenny doesn't work with msn. I'd like to report this bug to lenny. :)

I'd like to cut off proprietary IM protocols, but my friends still use msn for work, they work in microsoft. :)

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 11:15 +0800, Star Liu wrote:
> it's quite strange, the first time i used pidgin to log on to msn was
> quite smooth, but the second time when i logged on, i waited for about
> 2 minutes, then the 3nd time i logged on, about 5 minutes,....., now,
> it totally refuses to log on! the bottom of pidgin stops at a waiting
> status, and the buddy list is empty.
> Is it a known bug? How could I work it around?

Yes, this is a known bug.  It also affects support of ICQ, AIM, Yahoo,
Gadu-Gadu, MySpaceIM, QQ, and all other centrally-organized,
proprietary, private IM systems.  Most of them prohibit you from using
any client other than their own in the first place, and enforce this by
changing the protocol on a regular basis.

The workaround?  Don't use proprietary IM protocols:  Cut them off
instead.  Use XMPP instead.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca