Re: Advice for troubleshooting X (total screen loss) -- Newb Alert

El sáb, 28-06-2008 a las 16:57 -0400, Jeff Soules escribió:
> Thanks for the help so far, everyone.
>
>         > I have retried using both of the generic drivers.  Now I'm
>         getting a
>         > fatal server error -- no screens found.
>         > Still not working, but at least it's enough to start me on
>         further
>         > research.
>         >>
>         > The monitor in question is an Acer 22" lcd, if anyone out
>         there has
>         > any experience with these.
>         >

>         Can you post your xorg.conf and the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
>

> As requested I have attached my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files.  I'm
> attaching the conf and log files which occurred using the nv driver,
> although I get the same results (near as I can tell) when using the
> vga driver.
> You can also see that I've disabled glx output and restricted screen
> resolution to 1024x768 or lower (non-widescreen resolutions) in the
> hope that this might help, but no luck so far.

Ok, the xorg.conf seems ok. Just to be sure anyway, go back to the file
that was created by dpkg-reconfigure, since the modifications didn't
help there's no need for them to be there.

The problem doesn't seem monitor-related. What's the output of 'lspci |
grep VGA'?

And, BTW, you're using etch, right?

> To keep the message length down I have attached these files instead of
> copied the text.  Hope this doesn't violate any mailing list etiquette
> rules.
>
> Haven't gotten the box to recognize the monitor yet, although I did
> manage to get the mouse configured correctly thanks to mdetect.  Is it
> unusual to have to require root privileges to open /dev/psaux ?  I
> couldn't cat that device file on my usual login, and mdetect could not
> discover it without being run as root.

Yes, it's normal. The X server is run as root anyway.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."