Re: Help with VLC - no longer plays video files

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
andy wrote:

Hi

I cannot seem to get VLC to display the video when I am playing it.
Instead, it only seems to play it as an audio file. The progress bar
moves, but there is no video display. The settings seem to be fine, at
least to my untutored eye. This is the same regardless of the format I
am playing *.flv, *.mpg, *.avi, *.wmv etc.

Any ideas what has happened here?

What is the version of VLC? What distribution are you using?

I would try some other player like mplayer first.

raju
Hi Raju

VLC version is 0.8.6e Janus

Other players (e.g. Xine and Kaffeine) play fine. VLC does not play *any* files, except as an audio track.

Error message is "(.:366): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 5503"

=============
Ron Johnson wrote:

Do you have any Internet-accessible examples we could try?

Not really - I downloaded these off of the Internet and converted them from *.flv to *.mpg intending to write to a DVD. Two such examples would be Bill Mollison's "The global gardener" and the National Geographic film "The human footprint" (the latter is easily 90 minutes long though, so you may not want to download that simply to test!

===========
Carl Fink wrote:

I'll bet you're using files from debian-multimedia.org.  Their libraries are
no longer compatible with the VLC distributed with Debian.  See the newsbox
at that site for more information.

and

Gabriel Parrondo wrote:

Y'know, that's entirely possible. So, I uninstalled VLC and purged all of its config files and rm -fr .vlc and reinstalled using only the official repos and still the same problem.

So, now what?

Thanks all

Andy