Re: Advice for troubleshooting X (total screen loss) -- Newb Alert

Jeff Soules wrote:

Kent West wrote:

    I would start by changing the nvidia driver to the nv driver in
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Mumia W. wrote:

    Re-do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and select the "vesa"
    driver--just to check if the nvidia driver is the source of the
    problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have retried using both of the generic drivers. Now I'm getting a fatal server error -- no screens found. Still not working, but at least it's enough to start me on further research.

I attempted lowering the resolution to see if that would let it detect the monitor (and also tried disabling glx) but neither resolved the problem; moreover, when I set x to autodetect the monitor, the screen goes black again with no signal to monitor and I'm forced to do a hard reboot by hitting the box's reset button.

The monitor in question is an Acer 22" lcd, if anyone out there has any experience with these.

I will keep looking into this and report back when I find a solution, but in the mean time if anyone has any further suggestions I am all ears

At this point, I believe I'd drop all the way back to the "vga" driver.

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com