Re: Increase of un-usable PDF usage.

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 10:12 -0500, Mike Mestnik wrote:

> I'm CCing Ron as I don't expect my comment will be un-delayed
> reaching the rest of the list.

Not the case.

> Any advice for posting by non-list members?

Don't CC people.  Subscribe to the list (though non-subscribers can
still post) and filter it to a folder.  Trim quotes down to just enough
to give context.

> I think the problem lies in education of the makers of PDFs.  I'd like
> to just plain see them use another format, but if I can get them to
> use software that's better supported then that would make every one
> happier.

I thought PDF was a standard.  Certainly seems to be well enough
supported.

> > (a) What DE & PDF reader are you using?
> >
> What could be better then any copy of GS made after 2000?
>
> GPL Ghostscript 8.15 (2004-09-22)

There's your problem.  Try some other PDF reader.  I'm not even sure
Ghostscript is actively maintained anymore.

> I've attempted to recompile a newer copy, but the OS(SunOS 5.8) I'm on
> won't support it.  "File / Save as -> Office 1997?"  I'm sure many of
> the users will still remember as I do.

Never mind that that MS Office documents rarely (never?) appear the same
on two computers, even with the same software.

> > (b) Have you tried acroread?
> >
> This will not work on many handheld device?  As well as most of my
> Desktops(PPC64 and FreeBSD).  Ohh, but it will work on my Sparc.  Is
> it text-only for my ssh sessions or will I need to bother with X over
> slow links?  I'll find out.

Acroread is available for PalmOS.  You'll have to contact Adobe directly
for it, though.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca