Re: A newbie question about competing libs

> On 06/25/08 20:38, buyoppy wrote:
> >  When I tried to build some application which
> requires the
> > latest version of some other lib, first I
> installed that
> > required lib from source into /usr/local/lib and
> > ldconfiged. Older version of that lib which was
> installed
> > from package remains at /usr/lib. Then I tried to
> build
> > target application, I got a lot of "undefined
> reference"
> > errors.
> >  I don't know the "usual" way to solve such a
> problem.
> > Should I uninstall older version of lib from
> /usr/lib?
> > Should I make(or change) link at /usr/lib to the
> latest
> > one ? Or should I install the latest version into
> > ?usr/lib(not /usr/local/lib) in the first place?
> Or
> > should I deal with it by configuring options
> appropriately
> > during building process(I tried this by adding
> > -L/usr/local/lib...)?
> >  Could you give me any suggestion?
>
> Are you running Etch?
>
> What package is it?
>
> Could you get the deb-src and build/install it on
> your machine?

 Yes, I'm running Etch4. I tried to install Evince-2.22.2.
I'll soon try again it, but if possible I want to know
"usual" policy or way of thinking about relation of
competing libs at /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib. Is such a
coexistance impermissible at all?
 Thanks.

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/