Re: Setting up an IMAP server

On 06/26/08 14:35, David Baron wrote:
> I installed dovecot and gave it a more or less default mail location
> # 1.0.14: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
> log_path: /var/dovecot.log
> log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
> protocols: imap
> listen: [::]
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot//login
> login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
> login_greeting: Welcome to davids mail service.
> mail_privileged_group: mail
> mail_location: mbox:%h/%u/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
> auth default:
>   passdb:
>     driver: pam
>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd
>
> Kmail will work with this and apply the filter rules to the IMAP mail. Stuff
> that simply passes gos to the IMAP inbox, stuff that gets sent to other
> folders still does.
>
> What I would like to see is the whole Mail directory structure reflected in
> the IMAP. I would like to access this from a remote computer and for now, if
> kmail be running, see the same thing as I do locally.

It's also useful for if/when X breaks and you're stuck at the console.

> The next step would be to get the filter rules off kmail entirely. Of course,
> I can get the outlook on the remote machine to do similar filtering on that
> machine. The point is not to be popping mail off the provider's server onto
> both machines and not to shut down fetchmail be for I go to the other
> machine.

This is *absolutely* doable.  Here's how I do it, though exim4,
procmail & dovecot-imapd should be simple replacements for postfix,
maildrop & courier-imapd.

fetchmail->postfix->maildrop->"Maildir folder"<-courier-imapd<-MUA
             v^
         spamassassin

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas.  In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."