Re: Which 64 bit cpu assembler to use ?

> On 06/25/08 02:05, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> Star Liu wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>>> i made some thinking on nasm, yasm and gas, finally i think it's a
>>> very bad thing for nasm and yasm to come out, for they don't provide
>>> much more improvement for gas, just some non-important syntax change,
>
> You are entitled to your opinion, of course.
>
> http://nasm.sourceforge.net/doc/nasmdoc1.html
>     gas is free, and ports over to DOS and Unix, but it's not very
>     good, since it's designed to be a back end to gcc, which always
>     feeds it correct code. So its error checking is minimal.
>
> [snip]
>>> i think it's necessory for a real software developer to know assembly
>>> in order to know clearly about how software works, i have been a
>>> microsoft platform software developer for years, and tired to be a
>>> slave of ms,
>
> That's good!
>
>>>              so i jump to assembly now. :)
>
> But that doesn't make any sense.  It seems that you think that there
> are no c++ compilers in the FOSS world.
>
>> Personally I don't consider intimate knowledge of assembly language
>> extremely important in order to be a good programmer.
>
> Magnus, you're a smart guy, but I've got to strongly disagree with you.
>
>>                                                         It does aid in
>> understanding how a computer works, on a very basic level,
>
> Intimate knowledge of your CPU reminds you lets you debug your code
> when you think "it" iss doing something squirrelly.
>
>>                                                             but I'm not
>> sure I'd suggest anyone do that on a CPU used in a modern desktop
>> computer.
>
> Maybe not a GUI app, but I'm sure the mplayer people would
> appreciate AMD64 assembly code for some of the stuff that is coded
> in tight x86-32 assembler, but C for other targer CPUs.
>
> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA
>
> "Kittens give Morbo gas.  In lighter news, the city of New New
> York is doomed."

Hate to keep the thread going on what is arguably the wrong list, but I
always demanded of any programmer I hired that they know at least one
assembler (I didn't much care which one but the knowledge gained from
"twiddling" the bits and registers is invaluable) and at least one high
level structured language (e.g. C).
Larry