Re: Which 64 bit cpu assembler to use ?

On 06/25/08 02:05, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Star Liu wrote:
[snip]

>> i made some thinking on nasm, yasm and gas, finally i think it's a
>> very bad thing for nasm and yasm to come out, for they don't provide
>> much more improvement for gas, just some non-important syntax change,

You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

http://nasm.sourceforge.net/doc/nasmdoc1.html
    gas is free, and ports over to DOS and Unix, but it's not very
    good, since it's designed to be a back end to gcc, which always
    feeds it correct code. So its error checking is minimal.

[snip]
>> i think it's necessory for a real software developer to know assembly
>> in order to know clearly about how software works, i have been a
>> microsoft platform software developer for years, and tired to be a
>> slave of ms,

That's good!

>>              so i jump to assembly now. :)

But that doesn't make any sense.  It seems that you think that there
are no c++ compilers in the FOSS world.

> Personally I don't consider intimate knowledge of assembly language
> extremely important in order to be a good programmer.

Magnus, you're a smart guy, but I've got to strongly disagree with you.

>                                                         It does aid in
> understanding how a computer works, on a very basic level,

Intimate knowledge of your CPU reminds you lets you debug your code
when you think "it" iss doing something squirrelly.

>                                                             but I'm not
> sure I'd suggest anyone do that on a CPU used in a modern desktop
> computer.

Maybe not a GUI app, but I'm sure the mplayer people would
appreciate AMD64 assembly code for some of the stuff that is coded
in tight x86-32 assembler, but C for other targer CPUs.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas.  In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."