Re: Closing laptop without suspending

Am Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:10:08 +0300 schrieb Dotan Cohen:

>> I do not know the solution to your problem.
>>
>> But first of all is it advisable to move a computer while it is running? You
>> can induce a lot of vibration into the electrical/mechanical components
>> (hard drive failure comes to my mind) while walking. I would not do that if
>> I were you.
>>

> That is a good point. In any case, the thermal vents on this
> particular machine are not covered when the lid is closed. Regarding
> the hard drive, I do not think that there is a breaking mechanism for
> stopping the drive when the machine suspends, so at 7200 RPM even
> after waiting a full minute after suspend the disk is likely still
> spinning at a resectable speed.
>
> Can anyone shed more light on the subject?

The disk will spin down very quickly. If it took five seconds I'd be
surprised. Also carrying around a laptop while it is running won't be a
problem at all. The drives can take it. Just don't drop it or bang it onto
the table. I once saw a laptop fly literally across the room and hit a
wall. This one was turned off luckily, and it was still booting up
afterwards.

Jochen