wifi gone AWOL in Etch

 wifi (for broadband Internet) worked briefly on my Etch (and the double booted Windows XP Prof)

and soon vanished from Etch. My attempts to revive it have failed abominably.

Machine is DELL INSPIRON 6400 laptop, with Intel 3945 ABG  v 10.1.0.13 Network controller

found by lspci (as is Broadcom Corp BCM-4401-B0 ethernet device)

lsmod finds 'intel agp' and 'eth 1394'  (plus the usual many I don't recognise AT ALL).

The DSL-Router device is Zycom P660HW-T1 which continues to work OK on ethernet and wifi

for the Windows OS

My great  problem is that I do not seem able to find out  what to do to make iwconfig able

to recognise the ZyXEL device and do its stuff! I am obviously missing the preliminary stages.

It would seem that Etch did all the preliminaries originally, ready to spring to life as soon as I

removed the ethernet cable after doing the ZyXEL initial settings.

Any help on how to tackle things will be greatly appreciated - I would much rather let Win sleep out

the century, but am severely hampered with a "tethered only" internet access !!

Ernest

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.