An inquiry

Is ALSA broken in Debian etchnhalf (linux-image 2.6.22-4-686)? I am using a ThinkpadT42 with an Intel audio controller 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01).  The audio worked in the past, but I don't use audio that often and I don't remember if upgrading to etchnhalf shut it down, or if my installing drivers and firmware for wireless controller ipw2100.  Perhaps it's something else.  I've googled around a bit and it looks as if ALSA may not  yet be functioning for etchnhalf.  Any information, please?  Thanks.

--Steve Mazurek