Re: naming of linux-image package

Magnus Pedersen wrote:
> The 2.6.25 I get, but what is the difference between the -2 and the -5.
> My guess is that the -x is the debian build version, but why the
> different numbers?

The -2 and -5 are ABI version numbers. Not all builds of the same
version of the kernel are compatible with each other. If you are running
2.6.25 and install a new build of 2.6.25, and there is an ABI
incompatability, trying to load modules from the new kernel can fail,
which can make the system not very usable.

So the Debian kernel team keeps track of ABI compatability, and if it is
broken, increases the ABI version number. This allows you to have
2.6.25-2 and 2.6.25-6 installed at the same time, and not accidentially
load one version's modules into the other.

--
see shy jo