Re: naming of linux-image package

David wrote:
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Magnus Pedersen <bofhenator@gmail.com> wrote:
On http://packages.debian.org/sid/linux-image-2.6.25-2-686 I can read the
following:

Package: linux-image-2.6.25-2-686 (2.6.25-5)

The 2.6.25 I get, but what is the difference between the -2 and the -5. My
guess is that the -x is the debian build version, but why the different
numbers?

linux-image-2.6.25-2-686 is the name of a Debian binary package built
from the linux-2.6 Debian source package, version 2.6.25-5.

I'm not sure why there is a -2 in the binary package name, but it
would come from the source package being setup so that it builds  a
binary package with that specific version in it, for some reason
determined by the package maintainers. The idea might be to allow
multiple versions of the 2.6 kernel, built from the same source
package, to be installed alongside each other.

Perhaps only 2 of the 5 Debian versions of 2.6.25 need the ability to
be installed alongside each other (as opposed to just upgrading the
current kernel image in place).

The Debian changelog might shed some light on the subject:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-2.6_2.6.25-5/changelog

David.

Thank You David, that clarifies it a bit for me.

/Magnus