Re: What we want from software vendors (Was: CAD software for PCB engineering and routing)

2008/6/22 Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>:
>> Proprietary binary formats.
>
> Which makes your whole proposition very dicey.  As a practical matter,
> trying to implement not publicly documented formats leads to a "chasing
> of the taillights" scenario where every time the FOSS developers get
> close to full interoperability, the company will issue a new release
> that breaks the format in various ways.

Yes, I am familiar with MS Office :)

> As a legal matter, the FOSS developers could face DMCA lawsuits.

Not for clean-room reverse engineering. That usually involves a
hand-off of internally-developed specs. Very tiresome, and demands at
least two teams of engineers.

> Only if your vendor becomes convinced that a sufficient market exists
> will they port their software to Linux.  In the mean time, VM Ware may
> be your best option.

That is exactly the point that I have been trying to make. Please,
take the time to contact the vendors of the software that you like,
and write to them. If people write here with the names of the Windows
applications that they would like to see ported to Linux, I will take
the time to find the appropriate addresses and we can write to them.
In the mean time, please take the time to contact Solidworks and let
them know that we need CAD software for Linux. Here is the contact
page:
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/company/contactus.html

In my industry I _cannot_ function without Solidworks. That means that
I must use whatever OS it runs on, guess which OS that is. PLEASE
write to them and request a Linux port. Thanks!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il