Re: mount partitions as normal user?

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 20:38:39 +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I mount a partition, I must use sudo, and when I create the
> directory (the mount point) in /media I must also use sudo.
> I chmod -R 777 the mount point directory before mounting, but... I must
> use root to copy files and delete files from the drive.
> So, how can I mount and have permission to delete, copy and move files
> on my usb drive from my standard user account?

Install the "pmount" package and add your user to the "plugdev" group.
Then you can use the pmount command to mount pluggable devices and
pumount to unmount them again. The devices will be mounted under the
/media directory with proper ownership and permissions; you do not have
to create the mount point directories yourself. If your partitions on
the usb drive have filesystem labels then they will be mounted as
/media/LABEL; this is handy if you have more than one pluggable device.
(You don't have to remember in which order you plugged them in because
the order only influences the /dev/sd* assignment but not the FS
labels.)

If you have lines in /etc/fstab relating to pluggable devices then you
should comment them out as they sometimes keep pmount from working
properly. (The main point of pmount is that you do not have to add more
and more lines to /etc/fstab as you keep buying additional USB devices.)

          Florian   |