Re: network shares: nfs or samba?

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 02:19:02AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/22/08 02:13, Mark Allums wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > You could conceivably have both samba and NFS support at the same time.
> >  Samba may be a bit better for a small network with Windows machines.
> > There exists a lot of support for it, and configuration is pretty
> > painless in my experience.  NFS is workable.
>
> Not only that, but the samba people are working to make good enough
> to be the preferred Unix network fs.

I'm sticking with nfs for now since its just about working perfectly,
does anyone know why I have to restart
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server
before mounting the shares on my clients?
If I don't, I get something like this displayed on the client machine:
"mount.nfs server denied access"
A quick hack would be to just restart this script just before the log in
comes up, what is the last start up script that is executed?
/etc/init.d/rcS
Didn't work, the machine required a press of enter to boot, I couldn't
read the error since braille was not yet loaded.

Thanks for any help,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/