Re: Lenovo Thinkpad, HP, or Vostro/Latitude? was Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 04:30 +0100, Sam Kuper wrote:
> 2008/6/21 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
>         As long as California limo liberals make sure there are no
>         offshore oil rigs, and Ted Kennedy prevents windmills off the
>         coast
>         of Martha's Vineyard, they don't *really* give a rat's arse
>         about China.
>

> Ron, I can't speak for California limo liberals, since I've never
> owned or been inside a limo, but I can state categorically that a
> large number of people of many political persuasions are concerned
> about the environmental impact of manufacturing, regardless of where
> that manufacturing occurs.
>
> Kenward, on that note: if you want to buy a laptop with a low
> environmental impact, you could do worse than to look at the
> Greenpeace guide to greener electronics, which rates all the major
> firms (Lenovo included) based upon the companies' environmental
> policies and upon, in at least some cases, a chemical analysis of
> their products.
>
> I hope you are able to find an affordable laptop that lets you run the
> FOSS software you want to run, has the physical properties you need
> for the usage you intend, and is compatible with any political and
> environmental concerns you may have. With such a large global laptop
> market, it should be possible.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sam

Thanks to you, Asuka (private response), and the others for your
thoughts.  I'd decided on the Lenovo despite the interesting turn the
thread took.  ;-)  Decent price, and I decided in good part to stay with
the Thinkpad experiences.

The impact you bring up is a good one to consider, but not one I had
thought about until now.  Will keep it up front in future purchases.

Ciao!

Kenward
--
Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics.  I can assure you
that mine are still greater.         Albert Einstein