Re: apt-get update segmentation fault

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 13:04:54 +0100, Anton Piatek wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone know why apt-get crashes when updating?
>
>   Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Sources
>   Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Sources
>   Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/non-free Sources
>   Fetched 9B in 2s (4B/s)
>   Segmentation faultsts... 60%
>
> Removing a deb source solves the problem (5 sources works, 6 fails).
> I have had this happen before, with sarge i think, and upgrading apt
> to a newer level solved it, however uprading apt now will require
> upgrading libperl
> My apt is currently at version 0.7.6 on a mixed lenny/sid system (with
> some packages from etch, unison in particular)

I think you are not doing yourself any favors by running your system
like that.

> Surely apt should be able to handle 6 sources lists - why can't it?
> and is there anything I can do to help debug why?

Maybe it is just a problem of insufficient memory being reserved for the
cache. Try this:

apt-get -o APT::Cache-Limit="20000000" update

This tells apt to reserve 20 MB for the cache; you can of course
increase the value further if it still does not work with 20 MB. I have
stable, testing, unstable, experimental and debian-multimedia in my
sources.list and my cache cache limit is set to 50 MB.

If you find a Cache-Limit value that works for you then you can make it
permanent in a file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/.

Assuming that insufficient cache size is to blame, apt should probably
handle such a situation more gracefully. However, I think it is only
worthwhile to track this down further if the segfault can be reproduced
for the current version of apt. (I did not check the bug reports; maybe
it is already a known problem.)

          Florian   |