How to Boot a Dell Optiplex 320?

Apparently the Dell Optiplex 320 is one odd piece of computer; the 'Net is full of people having trouble installing Linux on it. And I've just spent a day and a half trying to find a version of Windows that would install on it so I could update the BIOS to the most recent version, hoping that'd help.

The best solution I've seen so far is to use this line at the installer's (Etch, I believe) LILO prompt:

boot: install pci=nomsi

That gets me farther than anything else I've tried, but when it tries to find the CD-ROM, it can't find the drive. (Apparently there's something really mucky about the SATA controller on this particular model of Dell.)

So I tried going the route of doing a network install via http://www.goodbye-microsoft.com, but it installs grub and doesn't give me any option to feed the "pci=nomsi" parameter (or any other similar parameters); I've been unable to find a way to force this grub install to let me add boot arguments.

Anyone have any suggestions?

(Wow! I never thought I'd consider a Dell to be absolute cr*p, but this is it.)

Thanks!

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com