Re: CAD software for PCB engineering and routing

> Hello Larry,
>
> Am 2008-06-18 11:35:04, schrieb owens@peak.org:
>> Michelle
>> My (no defunct) company went through a similar search as you.  What we
>> found was some very good and very expensive software, primarily ported
>> Suns, and some reasonably good and reasonably inexpensive software,
>> unfortunately ported to XP.  Perhaps others can suggest something that
>> combines the XP-like cost with (some of the) UNIX-like features.  Due to
>> cost reasons we ended up with the XP stuff.  Hope you find something
>> that
>> matches your needs.
>> Larry
>
> My VariCAD is runnin on Debian and there is nothing which beat it.
> Handling, Usability, Performance and Price <SIGH>  20.000 Euro.
>
> Do you mean a Layout-Software for PCBs?
> What "expensive" and "less expensive" was it?
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>     Michelle Konzack
>     Systemadministrator
>     24V Electronic Engineer
>     Tamay Dogan Network
>     Debian GNU/Linux Consultant
Michelle
Yes I assume your reference to PCBs was Printed Circuit Boards (yes?).  If
so I have another approach, a "hybrid" solution used by many small to
medium size companies, especially those that don't do PCB layout on a
regular basis and/or do not do the actual PCB fabrication.  Contact a PCB
company that does board layout and fabrication to do just the layout part
(this is the most labor-intensive part of the process).  Tell them you
wish to do the schematic capture part and they will likely furnish you (or
allow access to) their PCB software.  In this manner you can do the
capture (and design rules check and perhaps simulation, each of which is
usually "built-in" to the capture package) and they can do the layout and
fabrication.
Larry