Has libsane to depend on libsane-extras ?

Hi,

When trying to get to work Epson scanners which are only supported by
the iscan driver (not a Debian package, sources provided by http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do), I find out that on Debian Lenny libsane depends on libsane-extras, and libsane-extras is getting in the way of iscan install (they are both providing /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1 ).

I did the install on Ubuntus Hardy Heron 64 and had no problem (libsane-extras isn't required with libsane). But when trying to do the install on Lenny 64 I ran into this issue and wondered why libsane-extras has to be dragged along with libsane since most of the time it's not really required.

I got the issue worked-around by creating a .deb of iscan and "dpkg -i
--force-overwrite" it, but it's dirty, apt is going to complain on next
libsane-extras update and possibly break everything.

Can someone enlighten me about the necessity of libsane-extras being a libsane dependency and not a "recommended" when "extras" should only be that ?

Is there a way to not have libsane-extras installed along with libsane despite it being a dependency, and blacklist it forever from apt/aptitude upgrades ?

Thanks,

Tom