Re: correct "Debian" way to log iptables to seperate file

also sprach JW <jw@mailsw.com> [2008.06.19.0716 +0200]:
> Iptables is annoying me by:
>
> 1) printing logs to the console
>
> 2) filling my /var/log/messages up with the same logs, which then
> get picked up and uselessly emailed to me by logcheck and
> logwatch.

So remove the rules that jump to the LOG chain.

I assume you're using some sort of "firewall" tool which generates
those. You ought to look there for the problem and then hit the
maintainer with the cluebat.

> What I really want is for those logs (which are not worthy of
> their "kernel.warning" status) to go to their own file.

Check out syslog-ng, which can do filtering based on line
content/regexps.

PS: nothing Debian-specific in this at all...

"'the answer to the great question...'
 'of life, the universe and everything...' said deep thought.
 'is...' said deep thought, and paused.
 'is...'
 'forty-two,' said deep thought, with infinite majesty and calm."
                                 -- hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy