Re: cpu constantly busy on debian sid without doing anything...

On 06/18/08 05:10, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 04:40 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 06/18/08 03:50, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
>> Since some time the two cpu's of my system (Debian sid running on a
>> thinkpad laptop x60s) are constantly busy up to the point that even the
>> key-repeat (pushing down some key for repetitious input) doesn't work
>> anymore when using an external usb keyboard.
>>
>> the system monitor shows for example:
>>
>> CPU History: ... cpu1 76.2%, CPU2 77.8%
>>
>> and using top I find:
>>
>> Cpu(s): 70.3%us, 5.4%sy, 0.0%ni, 21.6%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 2.7%si, 0.0%st
>>
>> but no busy processes are listed (Xorg: 4% cpu, gnome-system-monitor 3%
>> cpu, hald 1%cpu, epiphany-browse 1%cpu, top 1%cpu, mysqld 0%cpu...)
>>
>> I wouldn't mind so much if I still could use crtr-h, ctrl-f, ctrl-n, ...
>> normally in my emacs.  But for the moment even editing a simple text
>> file is a pain because of key-repeat being so slow :(
>>
>> Any idea what could be the reason?
> I hate to say this, but what happens if you reboot?
>
> Still the same problem after rebooting.  Sometimes I had the impression
> that things are worse after rebooting and become better if I wait for a
> while.  Than I thought 'beagle' might be the reason and deinstalled it -
> without any change. Today my computer runs for hours already and the
> little "System Monitor" applet in my gnome panel is at least half
> blue ÿall the time (blue is used for showing activity). The system
> monitor shows peaks, not a constant activity pattern. If it was Windows
> I would think about some virus - but I am using linux...
>
> Could this be related to the new kernel?

Hmm.  I roll my own kernel, so I don't know which kernel you use.
And you say that top(1) sorted by processor usage shows nothing?

If your Stinkpad is directly connected to the Intarweb, it's
*possible* that it's been infected by a worm.

> Thanks (will try to reboot once more now)

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas.  In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."