Re: cpu constantly busy on debian sid without doing anything...

Hi Ron,

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 04:40 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 06/18/08 03:50, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
> > Since some time the two cpu's of my system (Debian sid running on a
> > thinkpad laptop x60s) are constantly busy up to the point that even the
> > key-repeat (pushing down some key for repetitious input) doesn't work
> > anymore when using an external usb keyboard.
> >
> > the system monitor shows for example:
> >
> > CPU History: ... cpu1 76.2%, CPU2 77.8%
> >
> > and using top I find:
> >
> > Cpu(s): 70.3%us, 5.4%sy, 0.0%ni, 21.6%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 2.7%si, 0.0%st
> >
> > but no busy processes are listed (Xorg: 4% cpu, gnome-system-monitor 3%
> > cpu, hald 1%cpu, epiphany-browse 1%cpu, top 1%cpu, mysqld 0%cpu...)
> >
> > I wouldn't mind so much if I still could use crtr-h, ctrl-f, ctrl-n, ...
> > normally in my emacs.  But for the moment even editing a simple text
> > file is a pain because of key-repeat being so slow :(
> >
> > Any idea what could be the reason?
>
> I hate to say this, but what happens if you reboot?

Still the same problem after rebooting.  Sometimes I had the impression
that things are worse after rebooting and become better if I wait for a
while.  Than I thought 'beagle' might be the reason and deinstalled it -
without any change. Today my computer runs for hours already and the
little "System Monitor" applet in my gnome panel is at least half
blue all the time (blue is used for showing activity). The system
monitor shows peaks, not a constant activity pattern. If it was Windows
I would think about some virus - but I am using linux...

Could this be related to the new kernel?

Thanks (will try to reboot once more now)

Dietrich

PS: I wrote about the same problem another email already - with the
subject: repeated input by holding down a key doesn't work when using a
USB keyboard

Just in order to relate the two threads I include it here once again: