Re: eth0: no IPv6 router present

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:19:45PM -0400, Will Murnane wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 19:32, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> > When the bootup
> > is complete I replace the interfaces file with a copy of the parent
> > machine's interfaces file and run /etc/init.d/networking restart.
> Wouldn't this try to configure it with the same address as the
> "parent" machine?  Try assigning a different address and see if that
> works.  If it does, you can put the interfaces file in
> .../deb-live/config/chroot_local_includes/etc/network/interfaces and
> rebuild.
>
> Assuming this isn't the problem, what does "netstat -rn" and "ifconfig
> eth0" show after you've restarted networking?
>
> Lastly, if you'd like to set up a DHCP server (and are allowed to,
> ofc) send me a message off-list and I'll help you get a working
> configuration.
>
> Will

Some Progress.  The ifconfig shows that eth0 has been given the address
169.254.122.180 and will not allow it to be changed or deleted.  However
ifconfig will create eth0:0 and allow the address of the parent machine
to be assigned to eth0:0 after which I can successfully ping other
machines on the lan.  The catch is there is no option in ifconfig to
define the gateway - e.g. the lan IP address of the firewall - so there
is no access to the internet.

BTW When I say parent machine I mean of course the box on which I built
the Debian Live CD. When I boot this box from the CD there is no address
conflict as the hard drive is not mounted.

Tom