Re: Portage, RPM or DPKG: number of packaged software comparison

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:09:24 -0500, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> said:

> Simon writes:
>> I am just curious which distribution have the most packaged Open
>> Source software.

> That's hard to say.  Debian probably has the most packages, but Debian
> packages are also more "fine grained" than many: Debian packages
> seperately pieces of software that others clump together.  Probably
> the best statistic for this comparison, depending on your purpose,
> would be total number of lines of source code.

        Count source packages. That gets away from distro specific
 slicing and dicing of packages, and better represents the effort taken
 to package software.

        I still think that Debian is ahead by source package count, but
 I do not have concrete data, off hand.

        manoj
--
Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux (Unknown source)