Re: Recover lost (deleted) data in Debian

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 18:38 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon June 16 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > thanks for the heads-up. Since mt backup external drive is NOT always
> > > plugged in, I will disable that cron job.
> >
> > I strongly suggest either plugging it in and using the cron job, or
> > change the cron job to check for the mounted filesystem.  The
> > "always-plugged-in" option is a bit cleaner and easier:  No human
> > intervention required for daily incremental backup.
>
> ok, I'm not that good..
> so... I crontab -l as me and root, and I don't see any faubackup script.. I
> guess it wasn't created.

I'd be amazed if that is actually the case:  The cron job is included in
the package itself.

baloo@ursa-major:~$ dpkg -L faubackup | grep cron
/etc/cron.daily
/etc/cron.daily/faubackup

> so it is installed.. now trying to figure out /etc/faubackup.conf ...

Basically, the important parts to look at are the $backup and
$keep(years|months|weeks|days) variables.

$backup is the path to your backup filesystem, which must be mounted
prior to faubackup's execution.

$keep.* is how soon you want old incremental backups reaped.

Basically, the way faubackup works is, the first time it is run, it
copies everything you tell it to over to the backup filesystem.  On each
subsequent execution, it compares the most recent version it has to the
version to be backed up, and if the contents are the same, simply
creates a new hard link to the existing data to save space.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca