Re: Printing from a wireless laptop on LAN

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 21:07:55 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> On Sun June 8 2008, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>>> I have set the server settings on the desktop to "Share published
>>> printers connected to this system".
>>> I restarted cupsd after making this change.
>>> I have verified that the printers that I want the EEE to access are
>>> published, according to CUPS.
>> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html#sharing_with_windows
>> http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/110/197/
>> between those 2 I got my Vista laptop printing from 2 printers attached
>> to my Debian Lenny system ..
> The first of these is for printing from Windows.  Both the laptop and
> desktop are running Linux.  The second one, on debiantutorials.org, is
> the one I had been using.  It seemed straightforward, but the laptop
> still does not see the printer.
> As I mentioned above, I set CUPS to "Share published printers" on the
> desktop and to "Show printers shared by other systems" on the laptop.
> Is there something else that I need to do?  Do I need to modify any of
> the networking config files on the laptop for it to see the published
> printer?  I don't need drivers on the laptop, do I?  That would be a
> pain since I had to compile the latest version of gutenprint to
> recognize my printer.  I'm not sure that I want to try to compile
> drivers on the EEE.
> Any help appreciated.

Can you connect to the CUPS frontend of the desktop with a browser
running on the laptop? (http://$DESKTOP:631/, where $DESKTOP is the
hostname or the IP address of the desktop) If that does not work then
you have to figure out why your network blocks the connection.

If you can access the CUPS server on the desktop from the laptop via
port 631 then you can use a suitable client.conf (on the laptop) to make
the laptop use the desktop CUPS server (and its drivers AFAIK) directly:

          Florian   |